Something Other Than Pumpkin Pie



We are having an unusual Thanksgiving Dinner this year. Because of my eye surgery a few days before Thanksgiving it is difficult to cook so I toned down our usual Turkey Dinner.   I saw this recipe by Melisssa Clark in the NYT and thought it would be a different kind of dessert for the holidays.  Dan likes egg custard very much, and this is a twist on regular custard with maple syrup providing the sweetness.

                                                            NUTMEG-MAPLE CREAM PIE

Ingredients

  • ¾ cup maple syrup
  • 2 ¼ cups heavy cream
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 whole egg
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pre-baked 9-inch pie crust

Preparation

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, reduce maple syrup by a quarter, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
 
Reducing the maple syrup. 
Stir in cream.
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and egg. Whisking constantly, slowly add cream mixture to eggs. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a cup or bowl with pouring spout. Stir in salt, nutmeg and vanilla.
 
Strain egg and cream mixture.
Add freshly grate nutmeg (The nutmeg is key to this recipe.)
 
Pour filling into crust and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until pie is firm to touch but jiggles slightly when moved, about 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
Baked pie and custard.
 
Ready to eat. 
My pie crust didn't turn out so well, and I had more custard than it would hold so I filled three custard cups with the remaining mixture.  Since I have trouble making pie crust, next time I think I will just use this recipe and make individual custards. The nutmeg and maple combination made for a delicious custard.  I need to work on my pie crusts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment