A Quick Soup for a Cold Day

Ground Beef Tomato Soup 

Actually it is 70 degrees here on this second day of December, but I know that cold weather will be here soon.  So I'm preparing for it.  Today I made a simple Ground Beef Tomato Soup to freeze.  I like to have on hand several containers of frozen soup for days that call for something warm and comforting.

Ground Beef Tomato Soup

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (or you could use turkey)
1 14 oz diced or whole tomatoes pureed
2 cups of tomato sauce (I used Ragu sauce because I had it on hand. )
1 tbs garlic flakes
1 tsp onion salt
1 tbs oregano
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups of pasta (I sued fusilli because that is what I had on hand.) *
shredded cheese for garnish optional

Directions:

Puree 14 oz can of diced or whole tomatoes

In a large saucepan cook ground beef on medium heat until meat is no longer pink.

Drain fat and return beef to pan.

Add pureed tomatoes along with garlic, onion and oregano.

Add tomato sauce and 3 cups of chicken broth. Stir and bring to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes.



Add 2 cups of pasta and simmer for about 10 to 12 minutes.

Serve in warm bowl and top with shredded cheese if desired.

Serves 6 to 8.

*If you are on a low carb diet you can omit the pasta, and the soup will be equally delicious.


These freeze quite well.

Ready to freeze for a cold day when warm soup is needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment