Planning the Dining Table for Christmas

Table planned for Christmas Eve Dinner.
I've not yet cooked anything special for Christmas this year, but I have planned the dining table for our Christmas Eve Dinner.

My friend Boguska was here and she reminded me of the Christmas Dishes we bought last year. She and I were at a thrift store not long after Christmas last year and there was a 12 place setting of Christmas dishes with several serving pieces on sale for $60.00.  These dishes were made in Poland and Boguska came here from Poland many years ago. She wanted the dishes but didn't want to sink that much money into them.  I offered to buy half of them and then she and I would each have a six place setting and if we ever needed more we could borrow from each other.  I never thought it practical to invest in dishes that could only be used at Christmas, but for $30.00 I thought what the heck.

I decided the dishes were "fancy" enough to be the focal point of the table so I tried to keep other things simple.  For the centerpiece the grands had given me three small poinsettias that fit in the center of the table perfectly.  Those with a couple of silver candlesticks and green candles both of which I had and a string of silver beads was enough.


My white napkins I use only on special occasions so I washed and ironed them.  I looked around at several places for napkin rings with holly to match the holly on the dishes, but in the end I decided to use some silver ones that I already had.

The dishes are trimmed in gold, and I usually use silver rather than gold decorations, but if I can find a strand of gold beads I will add them to the center piece. Actually I think mixing gold and silver is rather nice.  I used my rattan chargers to not detract from the dishes and to keep things simple. The champagne glasses with the green stems will add a little color and will be perfect for the bubbly wine that I will serve.
Champagne glasses with green stems.

A place setting with dessert dish to the right. 
I like the simple holly design shown on the dessert plate here.  
The finished table. 

I can only comfortably seat six at the dining room table, and I'm expecting ten this year, so I will still have to decide on the decoration for the small table that I'll set up in the den.  Decorating the tables is one of my favorite things to do at Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment