Sweet Potato Cornbread (and Milk)

Sweet potato cornbread. 

I like sweet potatoes and I like cornbread, so I was eager to try this twist on cornbread.  The recipe was in today's News and Observer.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of creamy wheat (Cream of Wheat) (I used polenta or you could use cornmeal.)
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I grate fresh nutmeg.)
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cup cooked mashed sweet potato
2 large eggs
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used creme fraiche.)
3/4 cup milk 2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:
Coat a 10 inch cast iron skillet with oil and set it in the oven and then preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Mix together all the dry ingredients.
Whisk together the remaining ingredients until they are thick but smooth.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients slightly until just incorporated.
Remove skillet from oven and carefully pour in the batter.
Bake about 25 minutes until the top is puffy and golden.
Remove from oven and place about 4 pats of butter and let sit for a few minutes.
Serve while hot.
Dry ingredients. 

Wet ingredients. 
Out of the oven and buttered. 

Ready to eat with a glass of milk. 
I think it would have been a bit better made with Cream of Wheat, because the polenta made it a bit grainy.  I never have Cream of Wheat on hand though.  Or cornmeal would probably work too, but I didn't have any on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment