Of Course I Know How to Cook Steelcut Oats, But.....

A Bowl of Trader Joe's Steelcut Oatmeal. 

I've found a way to have quick cook steelcut oats, and that may sound like heresy to those who love steelcut oats and who know that it takes about 45 minutes to cook them. ( I need to mention here that I do NOT like quick cook oat flakes that you get in little individual packets.  Those are not steel cut.)  Trader Joe's has developed frozen steelcut oatmeal that is absolutely delicious and quick. *


For $1.69 you get two plastic-wrapped hockey pucks of cooked-then-frozen steelcut oatmeal. Hard as a rock, they go into a bowl and into the microwave for two minutes on high. Take them out and stir and back in the microwave for another 1 or 2 minutes.  You can add raisins, or diced apples, or fresh blueberries at this stage if you wish. 
After two minutes stir, and here's where I add raisins or apples.
Add some pecans and half and half and you are ready for a healthy bgreakfast.

Of course, I could cook up a  batch of steelcut oatmeal myself, then divide it up into an ice cube tray. Depending on my hunger level, I could go for a couple cubes, or more. This is more time consuming and not really any less expensive. By the time you buy the steelcut oats, and cook them for 40 or 45 minutes, you're really not saving money and certainly not saving time.  

With the frozen cut oats from TJs I get two servings out of one hockey puck at about 42 cents per serving.  And even if you want the whole puck it is only 85 cents.  An inexpensive and healthy breakfast.   Not to mention what I save in time.  I am certainly planning on keeping a box of these on hand for the cold mornings when I am hankering for a quick breakfast of a bowl of steel cut oats.  

* A Disclaimer:   I need to mention that I am in no way compensated from Trader Joe's for promoting their product.  But hey, Trader Joe's if you are listening maybe this is worth a free box or two, what do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment