Making My Own Almond Paste

Almond Paste

I have a recipe that calls for almond paste that delicious something that is found in lots of Danish and French pastries.  The recipe I was using for an apple cranberry tart called for almond paste.  Sure I could go out and buy some already made, but since I am trying to learn new things in the kitchen why not make my own especially since I had a bag of whole almonds.  First I had to blanch (remove the skins) from the whole almonds.

Place whole almonds in bowl.
Pour boiling water over almonds and let stay for 1 minute.  Do not oversoak.

Now the skins will peel off very nicely.  Let the blanched almonds dry. 


Once the blanched almonds had dried, I was ready to make the almond paste.

1.1.2 cups blanched almonds
1/1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon almond extract

Add almonds and sugar in a food processor and process until  the almonds are finely ground.  Add remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture forms into a dough and pulls away from the side of the bowl.

Wrap the almond paste tightly in plastic wrapp and store in a ziploc bag.  Can be refrigerated up to 3 months or frozen for up to 6 months.







This was used in the apple cranberry tart I made for Thanksgiving this year.  Another blog will feature that tart.

No comments:

Post a Comment