It's Cheaper to Make My Own

Homemade creme fraiche.  

I have a recipe that calls for Crème fraîche, but because Crème fraîche is rather expensive, I decided to make my own.  The recipe is quite simple. It uses only two ingredients, heavy cream and buttermilk.  How much cheaper?  At Harris Teeter heavy cream is only 25 cents per ounce compared to creme fraiche that is $1.00 per ounce.  The buttermilk is only 7 cents per ounce and of course you use very little buttermilk, and I can drink the rest.  I love buttermilk!
Just two ingredients.  

Crème fraîche originated in the Normandy region of France.  It is just heavy cream that has been fermented.  In France, it is made from cream that has not been pasteurized so there are bacteria present and it doesn't require adding buttermilk.  Our heavy cream is pasteurized so the bacteria have been killed, but the buttermilk contains helpful bacteria that will allow the cream to ferment.  I could only find ultra pasteurized cream so it took a bit longer than 12 hours to thicken to the consistency that I prefer. 

Recipe:

1 cup of heavy cream
 2 tablespoons of buttermilk

Mix the two and place in a plastic or glass jar and cover with a paper towel (hold in place by a rubber band).  Allow the mixture to rest at room temperature for about 12 hours.  Check to see if the desired consistency has been reached, and if it is not thick enough you can let in remain at room temperature for another 6 hours.  It will last in the fridge for up to two weeks.  
Let this sit out at room temperature for 12 to 18  hours.  
After 18 hours it is the consistency that I like. 
Put top on jar and refrigerate.  
I like Crème fraîche over fresh fruit, or a dollop on desserts, particularly chocolate desserts. It can be combined with a bit of fresh lemon juice and makes a great topping for grilled salmon. Today I will put a dollop on my apple and blueberry dessert.  
Over fruit dessert.  

Actually I made it to use in a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts.  That recipe will be featured in my next blog.  Stay tuned.    





No comments:

Post a Comment