An Almost Dairy-Free Crustless Quiche

Almost dairy-free crustless quiche. 

In the past year I discovered that I have an allergic reaction to most dairy products---lactose intolerance.  Consequently I have tried to make dishes that require milk by substituting coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk.  I do draw the line though when it comes to cheese, and I do use cheese in small amounts.  Here's a recipe I tried for making an almost dairy free quiche.

Ingredients:
1 yellow onion sliced into half moons.
8 oz carton of baby bella mushrooms
8 to 10 asparagus spears (I had left over from some I had steamed.)
6 eggs
3 tbs of all purpose flour
3/4 cup coconut milk unsweetened
couple of grinds of black pepper
a dash of paprika
a dash of dried thyme
1/2 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese (I grate my own cheese because I learned that cheese that is shredded contains a form of sawdust to keep it from clumping together.  You can check this out on Snopes.) 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 9 or 10 inch pie pan with butter.

Pteheat 3 tbs of olive oil and cook onion until it is caramelized.  Add the caramelized onion on the bottom of the pie pan.
Caramelize the onions. 
Spread caramelized onions on bottom of pan. 

In same pan saute the mushrooms.  Add mushrooms to pie pan.  Cut up asparagus spears into small pieces and add to pan.  
Add mushrooms. 
Add asparagus. 

Mix together the eggs, coconut milk, flour, pepper, paprika and thyme with a whisk until well blended.  Add the mixture on top of the vegetables in the pan.  
Egg mixture. 

Shred cheese until you have about 1/2 shredded and then add this to the top of the pan.  With a spoon flatten down everything until it is even on top.  
Shred 1/2 cup of cheese. 
Ready for oven. 

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in 350 degree oven. 

Out of oven. 


Remove from oven when it becomes brown on top and a toothpick in the center of the quiche comes out clean. Let the quiche sit for at least 5 minutes before you cut and serve it.  It is also good cold. 


No comments:

Post a Comment