Crackling Corn Bread for Rufus


A hot slice of crackling corn bread with melted butter. 
I remember as a kid my father loved Crackling Corn Bread.  There is something about this time of year that reminds me of how one of our neighbors,when they butchered a pig, would always bring a "mess" of cracklings* to my mama so she could make Crackling Corn Bread.  I asked Rufus, one of Dan's caretakers, if he had ever eaten CCB.  He said he loved it but hadn't eaten any in a long time.  I decided to make some for Rufus (and to see if I liked it now that I am an adult---I didn't like it as a child). **
How to Cook Everything (except Crackling Corn Bread).

I found a recipe with some difficulty.  I checked out Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, but there was no mention of Crackling Corn Bread.  His recipe for Bacon Corn Bread was the closest thing.  But I did find the following recipe online.  And I did find pork cracklings at the Nahunta Pork Center at the Raleigh Farmer's Market. 




1 c yellow cornmeal
1 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c milk
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/3 c vegetable oil 
1  c cracklings or fried pork skins (rinds)

PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 DEGREES F. Grease a 9 skillet and put in oven. Mix dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and set aside. 
 
Dry Ingredients.

Then in another bowl beat together the wet ingredients, milk, eggs, vegetable oil until blended. 
Mix wet ingredients.
 Then pour into the dry mixture, and stir until it is combined.
 
Mix wet and dry ingredients.

 Stir in the cracklings; mix but do not beat. 
 
Add the cracklings.

Pour into prepared skillet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown.
Ready for oven.
Nice and brown, out of the oven.
Have a bite.
* Cracklings are the by-product of the rendering of lard. 
NOTE: If cracklings are not readily available, use fried pork rinds (skins) usually found in the snack food section.
**Nope, still don't like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment